Sunday, January 12, 2014

Roof Repair: Part 1

After getting the camper home, I spent some time researching what my the best course of action in repairing and replacing the cracked ABS roof.  At first, I thought I might take a similar route that I used for fiberglass repair on my sailboat.  After a bit of Googling, I found a product called "Liquid Roof".

A bit of reading on their website helped me determine that I would need a little more than a gallon of this stuff to try and resurface the roof on the camper.  I found a pretty good deal on a couple gallons on Amazon, and since I am a Prime Member I went ahead and ordered two gallons.

A couple days later after receiving the Liquid Roof can shipment, it was time to get started.

I began by raising the camper and removing the mounting bolts for the roof-top Air Conditioning unit.  This was actually a straight forward process, and honestly the easiest chore of the day.


Once the A/C mounting bolts were removed, I lowered the camper roof and a couple of us lifted the unit right off the roof.  We were very careful to try and preserve as much of the gasket as possible.  We would most likely need to measure and cut a new one later.

With the A/C unit off the top of the camper, we began using a paint scraper to strip off the old weathered ABS roofing.  Most of it came off with ease, as water had penetrated through the cracks and had worn away the glue underneath.


The difficult part came when we got to the very rear of the camper top.  The old roof was still very much adhered to the fiberglass and foam shell underneath.  It tooke three people, some scrapers, and a can of acetone, but finally we had managed to scrape away the entire coating, leaving nothing but the bare foam core underneath.


The only other tricky part was removing the lid latches from the roof as we scraped off the old ABS shell.  There are still pieces of the ABS backing on the latches, which I will have to acetone and scape off for replacement after I done recoating the roof.

Again, more to come...

13 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm following your instructions. I've just removed the old cracked top.

    It has been a few years since you did this, do you have any updates? Has the liquid roof held up? Would you choose to do something different in retrospect?

    Thanks
    Leo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leo,

      I still have my Coleman camper, and in fact we just used it last summer on a long road trip through Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, and Arizona. The Liquid Roof has held up very well and there are zero leaks. My only complaint is that I have to use a soapy bleach cleaner after every rainy season to remove any mold or mildew. In retrospect I might have used Herculiner instead, but I still might try cleaning up the roof this season and apply Herculiner over the liquid roof just to see how well it works. Thanks for the interest, and I think o will update the blog to show how well the camper is holding up

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I'm curious if you have any advice on removing the AC unit. I have a 1998 Coleman Westlake with a roof-top AC, and I'm getting ready to strip the ABS and then spray on a replacement roof (using the T-Rex white bedliner product), and between your post and a YouTube video, I'm confident about the removal of the old ABS and the application of a new coating, but I'm less certain about the AC. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlie,

      My particular A/C unit has a series of bolts inside the camper that held on the face plate for the vents and controls. I simply removed the knobs for the controls, then took out the long bolts and I removed the lower control box. I then lowered the roof, went up top and took off the screws for the A/C housing cover (the aerodynamic ABS/plastic cover). Once the cover was off, I slowly rocked the unit back and forth to free it from the double-sided sticky sealant gasket on the roof.

      The A/C unit is of course heavy, so be careful taking it off. Also be sure and remove the old gasket and residue, as you will replace it after resurfacing the roof.

      Let me know if you need detailed photos of the process, and thanks for reading

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tips Tbonius. If you have pics you're willing to share, that would be helpful. I'm a humanities guy, so I can use all the help I can get. :-)

      Delete
  3. Awesome article! I want people to know just how good this information is in your article. It’s interesting, compelling content. Your views are much like my own concerning this subject.
    Roof Repair

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get a quote from the top subcontractors in Vancouver, Our crews do work for all the roofing contractors. Now get the same crews they hire to do your home for less money while getting the same service that you get from the big guys. We will get you several roofing quotes from roofing contractors that have all the insurance and skills so you have piece of mind. Join in with the roofing contractors that buy in bulk to pass of savings to you. If you want more info click here link : Roofing Contractors Vancouver

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for this useful article. I like it. Roof Replacement

    ReplyDelete
  6. You’ve got some interesting points in this article. I would have never considered any of these if I didn’t come across this. Thanks!. roofing indianapolis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for a wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading. watertightworthingroofing.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. You ought to basically fantastic not to mention solid advice, which means notice: roofers Sarnia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Within this webpage, you'll see the page, you need to understand this data. roof repair

    ReplyDelete