Thursday, January 16, 2014

Roof Repair: Part 3

Well after some more research, I discovered that using epoxy based resins would most likely melt the foam core left behind from the ABS I had removed from the camper roof and trashed.




The cracked material I had removed took up two entired trash cans, even after I broke it down as much as I could.  I had also performed a closer inspection of the foam core roof and noticed that there were some small grooves left behind around the edges of the roof.


I would need to fill these and and sand them down before I could apply my final Liquid Roof over coating.  The question now would be what materials I could use.

I had recently joined a pop-up camper user forum called PopUpPortal.  After asking a few questions in the various forums, I found a specific forum topic revolving around Coleman camper owners who had repaired of replaced their ABS roofs with materials like Truck Bedliner and Liquid Roof.  

The overwhelming consensus was to use a two part urethane-based primer to cover the foam core, and then fill in the pits with a polyester resin such as glazing putty.

A trip to a local automotive paint specialty shop and a hundred dollars later, I have my primer and resin in hand.  While I waited for a day when I had more time to start that phase of the project, I concentrated on removing the lid latches from the ABS backing.


Nothing really special here, as the latches seemed to be adhered to the ABS with a caulk-like vinyl adhesive.  I am not sure exactly what it is but I am sure I could do a bit of Googling to easily find my answer.



After some simple scraping of the latches to pry them from the remaining ABS backing, I cleaned up the latches and will create backing metal plates for tehm once I finish up the primer and filler on the roof.

More to come..


1 comment:

  1. Get a quote from the top subcontractors in Vancouver, Our crews do work for all the roofing contractors. Now get the same crews they hire to do your home for less money while getting the same service that you get from the big guys. We will get you several roofing quotes from roofing contractors that have all the insurance and skills so you have piece of mind. Join in with the roofing contractors that buy in bulk to pass of savings to you. If you want more info click here link : Roof repair

    ReplyDelete